Saturday, July 7, 2007

We Can Read and Write

What is it like to live without TV? For a tennis fan during Wimbledon it is slightly annoying. But that is the extent of my problem. Other than that it is refreshing –O.K. I miss the Daily Show and Colbert Report too. I live in NY now, so I think I'll go see them both live.

It might just be circumstance, but people in New York seem more informed than people in other regions where I’ve lived. I can’t help but think it is because they read. I’ve been fortunate to meet a friendly group of people since arriving, and they all have bookcases full of books they have actually read. When I walk down any Brooklyn street on the weekend I see stoop sales, where you can pick up a new book for next to nothing. It’s a little book marketplace, and if I had a stoop I would participate. It seems like a good way to meet the neighbors as well.

This city is a hub for ideas. And people stay informed through good ole word-of-mouth and the printed word (you need something to do if you’re sacrificing hours per day riding the subways). It feels good to be here. Once again I’m back in a city with worldwide influence, and I can feel its pulse –or at least read about it.

1 comment:

Benton said...

This post is a little elitist sounding.

I am comparing living experiences between Texas and OK to NY...

It's whatever.