Saturday, August 4, 2007

Jack Daniel's Shots at the Eye Doctor?

So I took a shot of Gentleman Jack with the cute assistant in the eye doctor’s office. Seriously, it was great. This may not sound like the most professional of institutions, but I walked out feeling quite the opposite -it was only one shot mind you and I used a little persuasion to have her join me. The point is, the office visit was relaxed but also honest and informative.

How many additional products and services did he try to sell me? None. How many hidden fees or taxes where there? None. Did they remind me to get a receipt for Flex Spending? Yes. It was a no pressure meeting, and the doc was happy to share information, all for a reasonable $115. He even told me, “here are my contact prices, check the internet and get back to me about where you’d like to purchase your lenses.” It made me feel cheated in my past experiences. I thought, why have I been putting up with these other jokers? It’s just the way I thought they all operated.

This got me thinking, what other experiences am I missing out on when dealing with the professionals of the world. Is there a similar general practitioner, lawyer, broker, electrician? I do believe there are good ones out there. But America’s professionals are usually more interested in their own well-being than yours, and that’s not obvious until you come across the occasional expert that is different.

I came across a good dental hygienist in Dallas. I now have a much better idea what they are doing when they clean your teeth professionally. I also know that if you don’t floss, your gums will decay in between the teeth and make little black holes… Why hadn’t any previous dentist told me that?

As American experts are increasingly more interested in their own well-being I fear for the average consumer. Either I’m just more aware, or things are becoming more cutthroat. Brokers are more interested in churning your account than making you a good return, doctors are more interested in paying for their new machines than saving you money by nixing unnecessary procedures or using the acceptable/cheaper alternatives. You need to be well educated every time you walk into an expert’s office, it’s a shame. They are supposed to look out for you, but they often just want your money. Side note: If you get a chance watch Michael Moore’s documentary “Sicko.” It’s a good account of the medical and insurance industry in America, and for Moore it’s told from a neutral stance.

We, as consumers of these services, are lucky to live in the information age. The internet is a great equalizer. I found the optometrist on yelp.com, a site where you can recommend, document and share your experiences with just about anything. I frequently consult Google or Wikipedia about products I eat or drink. I often try to quickly self-diagnose any small medical problem before I see a professional, and afterwards I check on the information they give me. I review any prescription medications before I fill them, and I consult the doctor if I find discrepancies. I shouldn’t have to do that, but the professional has to earn my trust before I will let down my guard. I feel this is something you need to do to avoid getting screwed…

Considering financial health, I believe there are many out there who are downright crooks. I don’t know how these people sleep soundly. They have rationalized their cut for looking after your assets, when they know full well there are better passive investments which require very little market knowledge. They intentionally keep you in the dark about what they do, because they often do very little. They use you to make money, and if the market is good average people are none the wiser. When the market’s bad they say, hey everyone is losing money.

So the doctor’s office can be fun, or at least informative. But be prepared for the worst, show up with a written list of questions if you have to and set the agenda for your meeting with the doctor. If you don’t he will leave as quickly as possible and continue making his money. Ultimately you are looking for the professional who chooses to share information with you, because they are the experts, you shouldn’t have to be. Furthermore, don’t settle on any specific professional just because you have made the initial effort of getting out there. Find the person that helps you most, you’ll only be better off in the long run. You might even be lucky enough to get a drink on the house and make a contact or two. I'd say I learned more at school that way than any other...

No comments: