Saturday, January 5, 2008

Prevent Lower Back Pain (from sitting all day)

My first old man post... Sad sad day.

I analyzed the ergonomics of my workspace and discovered why my back has been killing me. I sit all day long and haven't taken the proper care to adjust my chair and sit with the correct posture. I just assumed I was strong and healthy and that strength training and fitness would take care of me. Don't underestimate to detriment of sitting for 12 hours a day.

Quick Facts:
-Despite everything we know about back pain, ninety percent of us are going to have a disabling episode at some point in our lives. This often happens to people in their early 20s and above.
-Low back pain is the #2 reason that Americans see their doctor -- second only to colds and flus.

Recommendations:
-Adjust your seating position (See links below)
-If injured avoid a sedentary lifestyle, you need to get your blood moving to heal.
-Exercising daily (getting your heart rate up for at least 20 min) will help you heal.
-Move around often when you are at work, take little walks and stretch.

This is really common sense, but there is a lot of good information below. It's worth reading and acting on if you work in an office all day.

Good information.
http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/ergo/ergo05.html
http://www.drbookspan.com/SittingHealthy.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003108.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just surfed here from your 'Benton's new phone number' post, and felt like I should add something. :) You also have to make sure the angle created by your elbow is greater than 90ยบ, otherwise, you'll lose feeling in your outer fingers. Like me! I'm old! -S