Sunday, September 23, 2007

Book Review - The Road by Cormac McCarthy

A good work of post-apocalyptic fiction about the survival of a boy (the boy) and his father (the man). The setting of the book is dark, and the mood continually grim. McCarthy does a good job of making you feel the harsh realities of genuine need. The need for food, for warmth, and for peace of mind. From the beginning you are not sure of the intent of the man; the book is so filled with mal-intent and inhumane acts that you are constantly scared for the boy’s wellbeing. Overall the book does a good job of showing what it would be like for a new boy to grow up in a world entirely different from the one his parents lived in. To read the man’s account of a few simple pleasures in life makes you feel fortunate. I felt grateful to be living my lifestyle every time I put this book down. It was calming and temporarily removed my feelings of greed and consumer driven want.

It's a quick read, the story telling is simple but effective. The images come to life and you are drawn into this story.
http://www.amazon.com/Road-Oprahs-Book-Club/dp/0307387895/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9941008-8468632?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190605077&sr=8-1

I didn't know it until I read that link, but apparently it's on Oprah's book club, yeah!

2 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Woohoo! I love that book. It's like a terrible nightmare wrapped around a tiny instance of goodness. McCarthy's other recent book, "No Country For Old Men," is being released as a new movie from the Cohen brothers this fall. Now if only someone would go back and shoot a bloody cowboys-and-Indians action movie based on "Blood Meridian"...

amy said...

Brian Hurley made me read it.
He also made me love it.