Sunday, September 9, 2007

Drink Broker's Gin

I stumbled on a Gin tasting at Fermented Grapes (An excellent little Brooklyn wine shop). There I met Andy Dawson, an English character and part owner of Broker's Gin. He ran me through a few of the finer points of Gin making and tasting. His process uses a mix of juniper berries, coriander, nutmeg, etc. -quite normal. Most producers use a basket/sachet in the neck of the still and let the vapors extract the flavor. But these guys do it slightly different, they steep all the fruit and spices in the liquid mixture and boil it to bring out the full flavor of the ingredients.

You taste Gin the same as you would red wine; start at room temperature, smell the aroma, and taste. I was quite surprised how much flavor Broker's had in comparison to Bombay Sapphire, which tasted harsher and more like alcohol.

The selling point for me was the price. About $20 for 750ml. These business savvy fellows sell their bottle at a tidy discount to the other brands (Bombay and Tanqueray). Right now the bottles are only available in a few Manhattan and Brooklyn liquor stores, but I see this brand catching on. Gin and tonic anyone?

2 comments:

Traci Anne said...

I'm going to have to try this. I've never been a fan of gin (unless mixed with copious amounts of lemonade or orange juice. The ghetto has, apparently, turned me ghetto), precisely because of that horrible rubbing alcohol/pine tree combination. I'll have to pop over to FG - after all, it's only a couple of blocks from me!

Benton said...

Traci, you're the most Ghetto person I know.